Activated charcoal is an element that stimulates detoxification and helps your skin eliminate marks and bug bites. It has a porous texture, hence it eliminates grimes, dirt and bacteria off your skin. Medically speaking, activated charcoal can be used to extract venom and splinters, relieve stomach bugs and skin irritation and whitens teeth as well, which is why it constitutes a must in the ambulance kit, in case people get poisoned.
It can be used in different ways to cure skin conditions, but this article stops on one particular way – an ointment that can treat bug bites and blemishes. This substance is so powerful that it can absorb 1000 times its weight in substances that harm your body, making it useful to extract the venom from snakes, mosquitoes and spider and heal the attacked area. The ointment will both clear your skin of impurities and regenerate the skin cells.
You do not need to use it only on what we designed it for, you may also apply it on scrapes or bumps or cuts. Basically anything that produces irritation and pain.
- ½ cup coconut oil;
- 1 tbsp beeswax;
- 3 tbsp activated charcoal (usually it is found in capsules, so you have to pull it apart before);
- 3 tbsp clay;
- 15 drops lavender essential oil;
- 10 drops melaleuca essential oil;
- 5 drops chamomile essential oil.
Take a medium sized pot and fill it halfway with water, then put a glass bowl in it. Melt on medium heat the coconut oil and the beeswax. After removing from heat, add the charcoal, the clay and the essential oil, mixing well. Move the paste in a glass container and let it cool. If you prefer a rather pliable texture instead of a creamy one, you can stir the paste so you obtain a more broken up composition.
Apply a small quantity of salve on your bag bites, cuts or blemishes. If you have a blemish you should leave the salve exposed, whereas if not, it is recommended to cover the area with a band aid overnight.
- Use the ointment as a facial mask. Apply and leave it act for about 10 minutes, then wash gently, using a cleanser, in order to remove the impurities.
- It may stain, therefore, pay a lot of attention if you still want your clothes clean.
- You can use any type of clay – bentonite, French green or kaolin clay. It is up to you. The same happens with the oils. However, these three heal and clean very well the skin and they also give the salve a beautiful smell, calming the skin through its texture.